Sunday, October 16, 2011

Antarctic Highlights

Fourteen months ago today, I arrived on the Ice; tomorrow I leave. It's been a spectacular visit, and I thought I'd post some photos highlighting some of the more interesting moments.


Nacreous clouds were visible shortly after I arrived, just as Antarctica was awaking from its winter slumber.
As the days passed, Antarctica grew brighter, and I enjoyed sunsets that would last for several hours.

I took this photo as a newly arrived janitor last year. After spending fourteen months here, I completely understand the sentiment. :)

On a cold September afternoon, I got to dress up and hand out ice cream as an afternoon snack. 

I had my teeth cleaned last summer, and during the process got to be my own "dental assistant" and use the special sucky tube. :)
"Ivan" the Terra Bus brings another load of newcomers to McMurdo Station.

My reflection in Joanie's sunglasses during our trip to the ice cave.

The crystals in the ice cave were amazingly intricate!

Here's the video of the nursing baby seal that I saw on my first tour of the pressure ridges near Scott Base.



My first sighting of PENGUINS!

Pedro and Emily at the Halloween dance party.

Larry fell asleep during a game of "Munchkin" on Thanksgiving Day.

Marcie and her LOVE sculpture at Happy Camper. We had perfect weather and so much fun!

Roy, Eddie, me, and Deke hiking out to Castle Rock on a warm December day with Mt. Erebus in the background. 

Cheryl Parker took this video of me stumbling through the slushy section of the Castle Rock trail. While it's funny now, it was very frustrating getting my feet completely soaked with cold water then.



A panoramic view of Mt. Erebus and the Ross Ice Shelf from the top of Castle Rock.

The sun hangs low in the sky at about 11pm on the hike back from Castle Rock.

There were a few days I felt comfortable wearing shorts outside. As the ice around station melted, it created several small streams and rivers.

Larry and I dressing up for silly photos at the McMurdo Alternative Art Gallery on New Year's Day.

Hanging out with some penguins.

At the end of the summer, I got to drive people to the airfield in a passenger Delta.

The sun setting low over the open sea as the darkness of winter sets in.

Another beautiful sunset over a steamy ocean.

The windows in our room weren't quite as insulated as they could have been, hence a buildup of frost around the window frame.

Group photo of everyone wintering over in 2011.

The supply team for winter 2011.

Someone left this photo on the public network drive as a thank you for rescuing the bacon at the beginning of winter.

The moon overlooks station from its position between an inverted Scorpio and Sagittarius.

Auroras brighten the sky over McMurdo.

In June, we witnessed a total eclipse of the moon. 

The moon over the peak of Ob Hill.

Another photo of the moon glowing behind Ob Hill.

Brooks is so excited about freshies from the greenhouse at Midwinter Dinner!

And a couple weeks later, I'm excited about freshies that came in on the med-evac flight!

My first Condition One! It wasn't terribly cold, but it sure was windy and snow-blowy outside.

The best winter trivia team on station!

My first view of the sun in four months. What a sight!

A real cold snap! A wind chill of minus 81 degrees.

Sun dogs reappear as the sun climbs its way back into the sky.

After a good winter season, my work boots have run their course.

I found this picture of McMurdo Station in 1956 on the public network drive. It's interesting to see what McMurdo looked like when it was first founded; it has grown quite a bit since it's early days.

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels, Joseph! You aren't going to know what to do with yourself in warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That called safe and interesting journey. Although photos are wonder. I like the most moon eclipse pictures which you have shown above. Hope i will get it on my desktop and share with my friends. I had also enjoyed mid night dinner at south pole with my friends.

    ReplyDelete